Friday, February 15, 2008

Worst Customer Service Ever?


It still blows my mind that an American company can send their customer service department overseas. I understand that it saves them tons of money but you'd think they would value their reputation in the marketplace over saving a few bucks.

I've dealt with overseas customer service before. Most often while setting up 4 XM radios for my family. This week I had to deal with Magellan and if I had any hair to pull it would have been all over the floor. Their customer service is in India and everyone I talked to was extremely hard to understand. Not only that but they lie to you off the bat. There is no way that I talked to a Nick, Steve, and Bob with those accents.

Both Erin and I have Magellan GPs units that we got for Christmas two years ago. The windshield mount on Erin's broke. I called them last November to ask for a new mount. They told me that it was on backorder and to check back in a few weeks.

I let 3 months go by without hearing from them so I decided to call them and check up on things. They told me they discontinued the model I have and they don’t have replacement parts anymore. On their website they have to exact piece I want for sale for 40 bucks. When I asked if they could just give me the one on their site they repeated that they didn't service my model anymore.

They did say that what they could do was replace my entire unit with a brand new one. So I agreed to that. They needed to put me on hold to get some info. Then I'd give them some info and they would put me back on hold. This went back and forth for an hour, 55 minutes of me being on hold.

They finally get all my info and say that a new unit will come in 2 to 3 weeks. Once I get it I have to Fed Ex or UPs my old unit back to them. So it takes 3 weeks to get me a replacement but I have to send back my unit in 3 days?? I actually have 30 days to send it back before they charge me for the new one.

Mind you I only wanted the windshield mount that I can get at any Best Buy for 10 bucks.

So in the end I get a newer model GPS. I told Erin that since I went through all this she is getting mine and I'm keeping the new one. I spent entirely way too much time on hold through this whole process and even had to call back at one point and regive all the info I had already given.

I just wish companies like this would think about the consumer for a change instead of the bottom line. Support the companies out there that are still keeping American jobs in America. Trust me. It will save you loads of time and aggravation.

No comments: