Sunday, January 14, 2007

Van Halen Controversy




It was announced this week that Van Halen will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year. This has sparked a lot of buzz from VH fans as to which version of the group should be inducted. The Dave version or the Sammy version.

The official press release lists Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar, Alex Van Halen, Eddie Van Halen, and David Lee Roth. So it looks like both versions will get in. I myself like the Sammy years a little better. I still think that Roth's 1984 is the best VH album but Sammy did have more hits with the band. For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge being the biggest album of the Sammy era.

So who is gonna play when they get inducted on March 12th??? The question is not only Roth or Sammy but will Michael Anthony be there. He was recently replaced in the band by Eddie's son Wolfgang. I'd like to see them do a few Roth and a few Sammy songs and have Michael Anthony play with them. He deserves to be there.

So expect this performance to make news. The buzz is that Roth will be there and this will kick off what will be a summer tour with Wolfgang on bass.

1 comment:

Brian said...

I will take issue: while I enjoy Hagar, the Roth years were so much better. I think when Eddie became obsessed with keyboards, the band lost a lot of edge, although, I still think they made some great tunes with Sammy.

I cannot wait until the ceremony - it's going to be insane. One thing is guaranteed: Gary Cherone won't be there!!!