Friday, March 30, 2007

Sumo Hockey

Buck, Jason, and I went to the Thrashers/Maple Leafs game last night. We had gotten something to eat and drink and were just standing around in the hallway outside the portals. A woman from the Thrashers came up to us and asked if we want to play sumo hockey. So we said sure.

We had to meet her 5 minutes into the first period and they took us into the underbelly of the arena. Jason backed out so we had to recruit a random stranger to be our third. Right outside the players locker room there was a room set up with all the sumo suits. After signing a waiver, we were brought into the room and got suited up for our big game. I was asked which color we wanted to be and I picked blue since the Thrashers marketing push is about Blueland. So I thought maybe we would have the crowd behind us.


The suits were on the floor and we had to crawl into them from a push up type position. Once our helmets were strapped on we were ready to play.

As the first period ended. I shuffled my way out onto the PHILLIPS ARENA ICE to entertain the masses between periods. We played against another set of 3 guys for 4 minutes and it was a great time.

I actually scored 2 goals. The game ended up in a tie. You couldn't see your feet so if the puck was down there you had no idea where it actually was. I didn't fall down but I tried to push the other team over with no luck. If someone falls down it takes two people to pick you back up and gives the other team an advantage.

At the end we shuffled our way back off the ice and back into the dressing room. We got out of our suits and we were exhausted. I was psyched to be out on the ice during an actual NHL game. Very cool stuff and it was a lot of fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Despina and I were at that very game in section 213......Matt Lee was there too in a nearby section. We had a good laugh over the Sumos!! We had NO clue you were one of them!! Cool to hear a first hand account of it all....!!!